When: Tuesday, June 12th
What: Recognition of the Women Veterans in the State of Texas
Why: To recognize the contribution of women who pledged to protect and serve the United States
of America by joining the United States Armed Forces.
History: On June 12, 1948, President Harry S. Truman signed into law the Women's Armed Services Integration Act allowing women to serve as regular members of the military.
On June 9, 2017, Texas Senate Bill 805 designating June 12th as Women Veterans Day in the State of Texas, was passed: https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB805/2017.
Highlights in the History of Military Women https://www.womensmemorial.org/timeline
TIMELINE: A History Of Women In The US Military http://taskandpurpose.com/timeline-history-women-us-military/
DFW PROPOSED EVENTS FOR WOMEN VETERANS DAY 2018:
Stepping in Solidarity to City Hall
Throughout the Day:
Various organizational specific events that educate, validate and/or commemorate veteran women and women in the military
Parties in the Park throughout the DFW Area
To learn how you and/or your organizations can get involved sign up at veteranwomensec.org and/or request to join our bi-weekly planning call.
Need to speak with someone, contact our DFW/WVD 2018 Planning Chair,
VR Small email: email@example.com
SAMPLE ORGANIZATIONAL IDEAS:
• Display pictures of women veterans and/or women in the military from your organization;
• Host a luncheon or pot luck to honor women veterans and/or women in the military in your organization.
• Set-up a display or posters of the history of women in the military.
• Invite mothers, aunts, grandmothers, sisters, etc…to talk about their family member’s military experience.
• Set-up a display of books about women in the military;
• Show a series of videos/movies about women in the military;
• Send out an internal email recognizing women veterans and/or women in the military from your organization to all employees.
• Post a recognition tribute to women veterans and/or women in the military on your agency, organization, or company website and/or social media.
• Organize a trip to the WASP (Women Air Force Service Pilots) Museum in Sweetwater.
• Organize a trip to local Women Veterans Day event in your community.
State Representative Victoria Neave and the Veteran Women's Enterprise Center are partnering with the City of Dallas and Dallas County to host "Stepping in Solidarity: Morning Formation" at the Dallas City Hall Flag Room from 8 am to 9 am on June 12, 2018. During this event, women veterans from the WWII, Korea & Vietnam eras will be honored from each Dallas City Council District. To nominate an honoree contact your Dallas City Council office or email firstname.lastname@example.org with their full name, branch of services, rank and era.
State Rep. Neave will also host an evening reception honoring women veterans at the VFW 6796, located at 9179 Garland Rd., Dallas, TX 75218 from 6 pm to 8 pm on June 12, 2018.
To participate or support these efforts, please contact Katy.Womble@house.texas.gov.
RSVP to the events at Dallaswomenveteransdayevents@gmail.com.
Dallas, Texas 75201
You may contact this poster using the form on this page.